Today we answer the question, “Do I need a mixer?” as the likely answer is NO! Yet more and more people are starting off the year mixer shopping without asking the question, Do I need one?
When Does a Podcaster Need a Mixer?
1. If you have more than one person in the room with you, you need a mixer.
2. If you are mixing in sounds while you record, you need a mixer.
3. If you are recording skype calls and you are not using an Audio Technica 2100 microphone (if you have this microphone – you don't need a mixer).
If you're looking for a mixer, here are some recommendations.
When You Do Podcaters NOT Need a Mixer?
1. When you are podcasting solo.
2. When you are putting in all music and sound effects in “Post production” via Audacity, Garageband, Audition, etc.
3. When you own an Audio Technica 2100 microphone and a portable recorder, or a device that's not your computer to handle the recording. (see video)
New Media Expo Reflections
I was bummed that Michael Hyatt and Pat Flynn were on at the same time. I can only assume this was done to sell virtual tickets.
I was bummed that the booths had very little value for a podcaster. I wouldn't know where to start in terms of “best in show.”
The Sessions were either really, really, really, (and by that I mean) really good. Or horrible.
The networking was awesome, and I love meeting TONS of people. It made my day.
The Show Must Go On
Jim was battling a cold this week, and explained that the show must go on. He did his coaching call (with a ton of live viewers) and made it through. In some cases you just have to push through.
NOTE: Dave's Podcasting in Six Weeks Class starts THIS SATURDAY. SIGN UP NOW