Today we talk with Michael Dell who is on the tech support team and blubrry.com to discuss the pros and cons of Feedburner. People use feedburner to add the iTunes tags to their RSS feed, and you can do the same thing with PowerPress. Michael and I were having a discussion in email so we decided to turn on the microphones and turn it into a podcast.
Podcast Questions From the Audience
Ilene from Basic Blog Tips asks, “Why do podcasters state the number at the begining of an episode?”
Scott from The Photography Podcast asks, “What podcast directories should I be listed in?
PowerPress 3.0 Now with Meta Marks
What can you do with meta marks?
- Display an image in your audio podcast during playback, referring to the topic you are discussing in your show. The image can optionally have a web link for additional information.
- Display a video in your video during playback, making it easy to insert an advertisement. And yes, the video can have a complementing web link for more information.
- Display a text comment during playback of your media, great for leaving comments about the topic being discussed at the specified position and duration.
- Display a bookmark that allows users to jump to that position in your media.
- Insert an advertisement tag to indicate to services where an advertisement is placed in your media.
- Include a lower third advertisement for placement in your video during playback.
Full description of Mata Marks
At first crack, I can’t get Meta Marks to work. They are working on some documentation on how to use it (only what it is). Not very useful at this point. I’m also having some issues with PowerPress and creating hyperlinks (it could be just me, but I’d wait to upgrade possibly).
Feedburner Vs PowerPress
Here is the break down.
Both Feedburner and PowerPress make it easy to add the iTunes information
Size of Feed Issues (512k)
This is neither a Feedburner or PowerPress issue. It is in RSS guildeline.
What if Feedburner went out of business? (very unlikely)
You would hope that Google would provide a way to redirect your feedburner feed to your new solution. If they don’t, you would need to (for example) resubmit your feed with a slightly new name. Once it was in iTunes you could change the name back. It’s a pain in the butt
What if Blubrry or the lead developer of PowerPress go out of business?
There is a feature in PowerPress that lets you redirect iTunes to a new feed. In the event Angelo retires, blubrry would hire a new developer to continue to support PowerPress. As your fed is on your site there is also a solution called a 303 redirect (a bit technical) that your web host could implement to redirect people to your new feed.
What if My Web Host Goes Out of Business and I’m using PowerPress?
You would order new hosting, redirect your domain name, and as long as your new website was set up like your old one the RSS feed location would be the same. Kinf of like when all Best Buy stores were set up identical. You would go in and turn right to go to computer. If you’re using feedburner, you simply login to feedburner and enter the new RSS feed location (which should be the same as the old one if you’re moving from WordPress to wordpress).
Share the love
Get free updates