I had a listener write in and ask, “What mistakes have you made in the past, that if you had to do it all again – you would avoid.
1. I would use wordpress. When I started I built my website in Dreamweaver, and I did my RSS feed in a different program. When I moved to wordpress, I do it all in one setp. I use Host Gator for my hosting, and you can install WordPress in a few clicks. I am surprised at the people who try to use things like Joomla to do a podcast (you end up with audio on a website).
2. I would use dynamics microphones instead of condensor. They pick up less background noise. Unless you have an extremely quiet room, go with something like a Sure SM 58. For more information on that check out www.schoolofpodcasting.com/equipment
3. I would get to the point quicker than I did when I first started
4. Don't use a free service for your web hosting (wordpress.com, blogger.com)I didn't do this, but I've helped people who have.
5. I would not use amazon S3 for hosting. It's cheap when I started, but now my bills are over 28 bucks a month for media hosting.
6. Do NOT put time based titles (daily , weekly) into your podcast name.
7. Instead of doing three mediocre podcasts, do one really well.
Tags: podcasting tips